elecSALIMA (Malawi NewsNow) –  Malawi Police has confimed that a nine months old Wahindu Lapani of Chilambula village Traditional Authority (TA) Kambalame in Salima district was killed after touching a live electrical wire.

Salima Police Public Relations Officer, Sub-Inspector Gift Chitowe said the incident happened on Saturday when the mother to the deceased left her house for the lake where she wanted to wash some clothes and left the deceased under the care of a neighbour.

“When the neighbour was attending to her house chores, she left the child outside her house and when returning she couldn’t see the child, but upon following the crawl prints of the baby, she was shocked to see the child dead near an electrical wire,” he said.

The dead body was taken to Salima District Hospital where post-mortem results revealed death was due to electrical shock.

Police are advising members of the general public not to leave babies unattended to.