Divala

Divala

BLANTYRE (Malawi NewsNow) – Malawi Police are warning the general public against llegal electric connections after a 12 year old girl in Ndirande Township, in Blantyre died after being electrocuted.

Illegal electric connections are prohibited under Sections 45 and 46 of the Electricity Act (2004) and anyone found dealing in the malpractice risks paying a K5 million fine and a ten years jail term.

Blantyre Police spokesperson, Elizabeth Divala, said a girl got electrocuted on Monday when she was trying to hang clothes on an electric line, which she thought was a clothes line.

“The girl was washing clothes and tried to hang some clothes on the line not knowing it was used to tap electricity from another house and she got electrocuted because the plastic cover on the line got damaged,” explained Divala

Divala said the girl from Mlambe village in the area of Traditional Authority Chiwalo in Phalombe. was pronounced dead upon arrival at Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital.

However, Divala said postmortem did not take place as relatives of the deceased rushed to bury the body to shield evidence from the Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (Escom) and the police.